Oh noes! It's another blog!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Gender discrimination don't exist?

This morning, I flipped through the papers and called up various childcare centres and kindergartens for a part-time teaching position. Finally unable to fund my personal wants after the Nintendo DSLite, I figured the need to get a job.

"Hello, I saw your advertisement on the newspaper looking for a teache..."

"Sorry, we're looking for female teachers only..."
"Oh are you applying for yourself? We only accept ladies..."
"Um, no, we don't hire males."
.
.
.
*Insert variation of "You have a penis?! GO AWAY AND DO NOT ATTEMPT TO VIOLATE OUR KIDS!"*

You know, it's like calling someone you admire for a date, and she turns you down before you even finish the first sentence... One of them even spoke with a tone of disgust that totally disgusted me instead. I suddenly felt like a woman of the 1960s (without the permed hairdo damn you!)

In a desperate attempt to raise awareness, this society needs to know that not all males abuse children and/or are pedophiles. Education has taught us not to discriminate females and people of other races; but apparently this lack of a 'target-to-discriminate' has put potential male pre-school teachers at a disadvantage.

I hereby demand equal rights and treatment from the society before I start riots!

5 Comments:

  • Hi Gary,

    I find your struggle to find a job as a male primary school teacher extremely interesting and disconcerting. It is awful that you are being discriminated against for being a man and I regret to inform you that the situation in the west, well at least in Saskatchewan is very different, which is why I think it is completely insane that you are experiencing this type of gender bias. Employers for the school boards in Saskatchewan (I know all of this because both of my parents are teachers), especially for elementary grades lean towards hiring males as they believe that the young boys need to have prominent manly figures in their lives to teach them about respect, and teach young girls about how a man should respect a woman at an early age. They also like to hire men because it is very rare to have male elementary school teachers. The education system tends to want women teaching older grades, such as high school grades and subjects such as maths and sciences because women tend to not be as "interested" in these fields. The authority figures believe that this type of role reversal, similar to that of having male nurses and women doctors will help to eliminate gender stereotypes and discrimination. I wonder if it is working. Anyway, keep with the job search and best of luck!

    By Blogger BLUEprincess, at 11:13 PM  

  • >_< I'm flying to Saskatchewan wherever that is!

    By Blogger Gary, at 12:32 AM  

  • HAHA, Canada!

    By Blogger BLUEprincess, at 7:48 PM  

  • Somehow it sounds like abominable snowmen live there...

    Anyways... sponsor my trip!

    By Blogger Gary, at 8:17 PM  

  • HAHA, it's spring now . . . and we had a really mild winter, I think we only hit 40 below a few days in January!

    By Blogger BLUEprincess, at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home